Antique Map of the Villages of Grafton, Perrytown, Osaca, Millbrook, Welcome & Canton [Northumberland & Durham County, Southern Ontario]
15 x 12 inches (38.4 x 30.5 cm)
Sheet measures: 17 1/2" x 14"
original antique map (some soiling to margins)
from Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Northumberland and Durham Ont.,
Toronto: H. Belden & Co., 1878.
Landmarks include: street names, churches, mills, post offices, wagon shops, toll gate, flour mill, Midland Railway
Landowners include: Howden, Wood & Kells, Jas Hunter, William G. Berry, Thomas Willcock, William A. Fallis, William Henry Sowden, Thomas Hutchinson, William Armstrong, William Galloway, Mrs. Wilkinson, W. Edwards, Robert Lancashire, George Campbell, W. Roddy, Jno. Brown, Est. Jas Carmichel, Thomas Medd, W.G. Russell, Jas. Gardiner, Jas Fitzgerald, J.T. Day, S.T. Jacobs, John Campbell, G.B. Salter, Dr. L.B. Powers, Thomas Sowden, Mrs. Ball, Collins & Sowden, T.B. Wallace, William Dawson, E. Corbet, Jas Rutledge, Aaron Choal, Joshua Elliot, A.C. Bishop and others.
Go back in time and trace the history of the Ontario & it's ancestors and maybe even your own!
own a piece of Ontario Local History & Genealogy
William Henry Sowden is a significant landowner in the area. He was a merchant and land developer in Millbrook, Ontario, nicknamed "The Squire" because of a large mansion he built for himself on the outskirts of town. After one construction project burned down and a number of planned subdivisions never materialized, he formed the Millbrook Colonization Company to in 1880 to develop land on he Canadian prairies, after the opening of Canada West. Later that year he came to Manitoba on behalf of the company to scout out a location for a new settlement and he colonize the area. By 1903 his new settlement named Souris was incorporated into a town.